26 November 2008

{ terrible horrible no good very bad day }

leaving husband behind in New York and going home by yourself with one baby

+

one WAY longer taxi trip than expected

+

one very hungry baby (see above)

+

arriving at the airport 30 minutes before flight leaves (also see above)

+

carting one diaper bag, one carseat, one carry-on suitcase, one very large suitcase, and one baby through the airport

+

finding out you must re-pack your bags because they weigh too much

+

panic because you don't have TIME to re-pack your bags

+

one very sad child all through baggage check and security (you still have not fed her and she's still very hungry)

+

finding out your flight is delayed an hour

+

sitting on the runway for an hour after finally boarding plane

+

one SCREAMING child (she's now been fed and is screaming for no apparent reason)

+

staying in seat because seatbelt light is turned on while sitting on the runway

+

one STILL SCREAMING child

+

sitting between two men who have never been married and do not have children (nor do they ever want children - see above)

+

having one of these men LEAVE to go sit in the front with the flight attendants because of your STILL SCREAMING child

+

sitting in front of a couple with two-month old twins that are being angels and hearing everyone LOUDLY comment on how lovely THOSE babies are being

+

one STILL SCREAMING child

+

not being able to go to the bathroom because you can't possibly leave this screaming child with any of the people around you (see above)

+

one STILL SCREAMING child

+

one crying mother (we've now been in the air for two hours and child screamed the whole hour we were on the ground - yes, that's now been three hours of SCREAMING)

+

carting one diaper bag, one carseat, one carry-on suitcase, one very large suitcase, plus the addition of one large box (due to re-packing) and one baby through the airport by oneself again

+

getting to baggage claim and calling your ride for pick-up and finding out he's nowhere near the airport (even thought your flight came in late)

+

finding out the reason he's nowhere near the airport is the car he's driving broke down while coming to get you

+

realizing the car he was driving to come to get you is YOUR car

+

realizing that means YOUR car broke down

+

waiting for thirty minutes for new car to come get you

+

pinching your finally sleeping child's fingers in her carset buckle when putting her in the finally arrived car

=

one VERY terrible horrible no good very bad day

*That screaming child did finally fall asleep for the last two hours of the flight - I only documented that part of this lovely day.





She somehow looks very innocent after all of that, doesn't she?

*Note - there was one fabulous part of this whole experience. When I had to re-pack my bags, the sky-cap man saw me juggling my many bags and trying to pack everything and came and got me a box to re-pack it all into. He then ended up repacking my luggage for me and waiting in line with me to carry it all up to the baggage check counter. He wouldn't accept a tip for all of this (which probably took him about ten minutes). It was all I could do not to hug him but I settled for shaking his hand and telling him he'd just made my day. Thank you to that dear sky-cap man, whoever you are!

*Note #2 - my flight TO New York was nothing like this. Orva slept the entire way and was an absolute angel. A man sitting behind me offered to take my carry-on suitcase and carseat all the way to baggage claim. He then waited at baggage claim with me (even though he had not checked any bags himself) and proceeded to carry all of my luggage out to the curb. He then somehow got me moved to the front of a very long line of cab waiters, waited with me until a cab came, loaded my luggage into the cab, told the cab driver where I was going, and then said, "This is Christine. She has a brand new baby and it's her first time in New York. Please take very good care of her." He then helped me buckle Orva in and waved to me as we pulled away. So thank you to Jim (I at least found out his name), wherever you are!

9 comments:

Diane said...

Wow. This tops any bad travel experience I've had. It's nice to know you survived this - now you can face anything. What would someone who is not as "together" as you have done?

Rebekah said...

wow, tine. that's insane. i'm so sorry, but now it makes a great story (and blog post). i love all of your new york posts. how fun!! you have one very cute baby! i love how you say she's "looking really hard." that's a very accurate description. i love it!

Joanne said...

I can't believe that! Good job for finally writing it all down. I love how the nice people helped you at the airport, though.

Unknown said...

I'll be honest, it drives me NUTS when some people on airplanes get huffy about your children (especially babies) because frankly, what can anyone do about it??? I'm so sorry! I'm glad you survived!

Jill said...

WOW!! That makes me NEVER want to fly with Camdon...but i will be flying to Dallas in like a month...I am glad you lived through that! i hope your next flight experience is a ton better!

Eliza said...

that is a very very sad story. next time can only be better right? good job on all your posts. now i don't really need to go to NY because it was documented so well.

Marian said...

wow, tine. i knew that your flight home didn't go as well as your flight there, but i didn't know it was this bad! it gets me so excited about flying back to the states with 3 kids . . . i know i shouldn't be thinking about it already since it's not until april, but that just shows how not excited i am.

Laura said...

you did a way better job documenting the new york experience than i did! maybe i'll have to repost my stuff? or maybe i'll just direct everyone to your blog....
when shall we do it again? minus the last plane ride.

Laurel said...

Okay, I feel like I have all but stalked you while you are sleeping... I found your old email asking me about your food blog, checked your profile on there, and found this one. :) But I'm so glad I did!

Orva is beautiful, and I can't believe we still haven't tried to see her. I know that Jason was bummed that he only had "Nu Skin" ways to contact you...

Anyway, could I get your address for a Christmas card? Just send it to laurel.richardson@yahoo.com when you can.

And I hope you don't mind that I'm adding you to my list of blogs on my own. I can't wait to see what you guys are up to.