26 November 2008

{ new york - part six }

Since this is the last post I'll be doing on New York (and then I can finally move on), I'm left with a bunch of randomness and there's not much order to it.

Here are all the leftovers:

The "ORVA" Store



When people would ask us our baby's name and we'd tell them "Orva" they'd comment on the fact that she was named after a store. We had no idea what they were talking about until someone finally told us the location of a shoe store called "Orva". Of course, we had to go find it and take pictures. We couldn't believe it!





The people in the store did not understand why I thought it was so cool to have a store with the same name as my child (especially when that name is Orva!) and thought I was crazy when I asked for a bag to take home. They glared at me when I asked for another for my mom. A girl shopping heard the conversation though, and thought it was just as cool as i did. She followed me outside and offered to take pictures of us in front of the store.


Music Video

This group was playing outside the Metropolitan Museum. I stayed outside for a long time just listening to them - it was really fun and felt very New York-ish.




Public Transportation

For some reason, I feel like I can actually claim to be an adult now that I've ridden a subway and taken a taxi. I hadn't done either of these before we went to New York and I'm proud to say that by the end of our trip, I was feeling pretty comfortable with both.





*One advantage to Public Transportation - when you're not driving and there aren't seatbelts, you can nurse! Orva has nursed on a subway, in a taxi, on a ferry, and on a double decker bus.


Longest Escalator

This is a picture of an escalator coming up out of one of the PATH stations. I happen to be somewhat squeamish about escalators. I wouldn't say I'm exactly terrified of them, but I do get butterflies everytime I get on one. It always takes me a minute to get on because I feel like I'm trying to jump into an already-turning jumprope (I was never good at that as a child - too scary). Anyway, I came to the bottom of this one and about died. It's incredibly long - I'm positive it took at least five minutes to get to the top. I was so anxious I almost just had to close my eyes.

The picture really doesn't do it justice, so please look at it over and over again and then REALLY look at it and then imagine the actual escalator being ten times longer. That should do it.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm so glad you included these pictures and stories - I can't believe the Orva store! Good for you for getting the bags. And I'm happy the nice girl took pictures - that would be sad to not have a picture of Orva in front. I think the store people should have been grateful to have you visit and given you free shoes.

Joanne said...

Oh, and I forgot to say I like the music video - it reminds me of the street performers Daniel and I saw in New Orleans.

Eliza said...

the escalator picture gave me butterflies in my stomach and i don't ever want to go on one that long. that's so cool that there's an orva store.

Marian said...

that's about the coolest thing i've ever seen to have a store named orva. seriously. who'd of thunk? i'm so glad you got pictures. and i hope you got the bags anyway even though the people were bugged at you. and that escalator looks super scary. i hate going on them with my kids - i'm always worried they're going to get caught in them at the bottom. there's a super long one like that in london and i hate it.

Kristin said...

I know how long those are.... I rode on a couple in London. And on that escalator, I lost hold of a large suitcase... yes, it went TUMBLING down the escalator atleast 2 stories to gain some serious momentum... and was headed straight for my Mom. I really thought I had killed her, and miraculously (seriously) it stopped on the step above her.