14 March 2011

{ confusion }

Orva has been a bit confused about a few things lately...

- She loves to watch Angelina Ballerina and begs for it every morning at breakfast. While she's watching it, she can name all the characters: Angelina ("Anwina"), Vicki ("Bicki"), Gracie ("Gacie"), Polly ("Pawyee"), etc. But for some reason that we cannot figure out, she calls the show "Peanut Butter". When she asks to watch it, instead of calling it Angelina, which she can say, she asks to watch "Peanut Butter". Baffling.

- She's recently become very attached to my pink yoga mat. It rolls up and has a strap that goes around it so you can carry it like a bag. She came out with it the other day and this was our conversation:

Orva: this is mine blue bag.

Me: blue! it's not blue!

Orva: it's pink!

Me: yeah, silly. it's not blue.

Orva: this is mine blue bag.

Later in the day (when she's still carrying it around), we had this conversation:

Me: orva, what is that?

Orva: mine blue bag.

Me: what color is your blue bag.

Orva: it's pink!

She carries it around with her everywhere. She brings it in the car with us, sleeps with it, and tried to take it to nursery yesterday. I said no.

After trying to figure out why in the world she calls it a blue bag, we finally figured it out. She was whining for some water while I was running errands and I kept telling her I didn't have any. Finally she yelled at me that it was in my blue bag, and pointed to my diaper bag. Apparently she thinks a "blue bag" is a diaper bag. While it does explain why she calls the yoga mat a blue bag and carries it around with her, it does not explain why she thinks a diaper bag is called a "blue bag" in the first place. I have never had a blue diaper bag.

And the last bit of confusion...

- Orva brought this bucket of toys to me (note the people in the bus all upside down) and said, "They're cooking! Sshhhh!" Then she got a confused look on her face, got embarrassed, and walked away muttering, "They're not sleeping. They're cooking!"



3 comments:

Joanne said...

Tine, I'm not used to you posting - I thought I had plenty of time to come back and comment on all your pictures in your last post, and all of a sudden there are two new ones! Super exciting.

I love Orva's confusion stories. I'm going to start calling our Angelina books peanut butter.

Laura said...

that was a good post, tine. i LOVE it when kids get confused. i just think it's so cute. it makes me never want to correct them. do you think i could train my kids to call my diaper bag "the blue bag"?

Marian said...

i read this when you posted it, but just read it again, and i laughed and laughed again about her muttering to herself "they're not sleeping. they're cooking!" and the blue bag thing is pretty funny too. does she still call it that?