11 April 2010

{ raeford johnson gibb }

Instead of posting pictures of my 39-week pregnant belly, why don't I post pictures of my almost 2-week old baby?



On March 30th, we welcomed our sweet baby boy into the world - three weeks early! It was rather unexpected, but we're thrilled he's here. He weighed in at 6 pounds, 8 ounces and was 19 inches long.











It ended up being the best possible timing and the worst possible timing.

Worst...My younger brother got married on April 2nd, so we attended his reception when Ford was 2 days old and his sealing and luncheon when Ford was 3 days old. Fun!

Best...Because he was born far enough in advance of the tax and audit deadline (April 15th), Brad was actually able to take some time off work. It was heaven!

Another disadvantage - my mom was all wrapped up in wedding stuff and was there for the actual birth but didn't get to come help out until several days later. I was supposed to be all wrapped up in wedding stuff, but was in recovery mode instead. She missed me and I missed her!

Another advantage - my sisters were all in town for the wedding and got to see him.









The actual labor and delivery went phenomenally well. I woke Brad up at 2:00 in the morning and he tried to talk me into going back to bed. I convinced him that wasn't such a good idea and we went to the hospital at about 3:00. Ford was born at 4:45. Brad was glad he hadn't made me go back to bed. *Someday I'll post the whole story - so that I'll remember it all - but for now, those are the basics*







As happy as we are to have him, we weren't at all ready for the little man to come. His crib is half-way sanded down to be refinished...his crib bedding is half-way made...all of his clothes were still in boxes in the basement...we had almost no boy blankets (I'll admit - he's been wrapped in pink a few times) ... my baby shower ended up being when he was a week old rather than two weeks before he was born. Oh well?

Aside from just his stuff not being at all ready, I was in the middle of a million projects - a complete living room make-over with all new furniture...the old furniture going downstairs...a new playroom going downstairs...old furniture downstairs going out...loose ends to tie up in the nursery. All of those projects are still up in the air - and probably will be for a while. Again, oh well? I'm sure it's good for me!





Overall, we're doing great. Ford's been a great baby and Orva seems to be adjusting well (mostly). I'm feeling great and loving being a mother of two! I'm sure Brad will be a lot happier when work slows down and he can actually come home once in a while!







*Sorry for the picture over-load...I figure I post so rarely that I may as well make this one very worth-while*

19 comments:

Aubrey said...

what a handsome little boy you have! CONGRATS! you have one beautiful family. I'm so happy for you! :)

Diane said...

I love the pictures.

He is so beautiful.

As for the timing, I had a friend who once said, "I wanted to get this to you earlier, but life got in the way."

Marian said...

oh, tine, he is so beautiful. i know i just saw him, but he was usually all wrapped up, and he already looks older. i'm so glad i was there to see him in person - sorry that the timing wasn't so great for you though!

Melanie said...

Congratulations! He is so handsome, and I love his strong name. Keep updating when you can! Your family is beautiful!

Kim said...

Congratulations! How wonderful to have him here. And there were not too many pictures, there are never too many pictures of a new babe! He is adorable. Enjoy him!

whitney said...

yay! yay! yay! Congrats!!!

Ahhh, he's just gorgeous! That is the best and worst possible timing ever, though, isn't it!? Love the name, I agree w/Melanie, it's just so strong! Thanks for the update, I was wondering when we'd see one. He's just so beautiful (as are you, post birth :) Love the green blanket, by the way, it's just lovely.

Kristin Hanson said...

Congrats! He is so precious and handsome! And you look amazing.

Poor kid, just don't let him know when he's older that his birth threw a wrench in your tires. At least he was a welcome wrench, right? ;)

Stan and Jamie said...

He really is beautiful!!! Congrats and definitely "oh well" on all the stuff you had going on!! That's pretty much how it will be from now on ;) But it's worth it! Enjoy him guys :)

Justin said...

Congrat! Good job!

Hansenblog said...

Congratulations you guys. He's beautiful.

andrew and brittani said...

I was just thinking that it was about time for you to have the baby. Guess I'm a little late. Congrats!! He's a cutie!

Jill said...

He seriously is one of the most beautiful brand-new-borns I've ever seen! Some aren't beautiful until they're not so scrunched up, but he is perfect! Congrats!

Are you still up to getting together sometime this weekend?

Joanne said...

Hooray for an update! I guess it takes a new baby for you to update your blog, huh? I'm glad, because Raeford deserved a post, and it was so fun to see all the pictures of him! I'm happy I already got to meet him when he was still so little - I bet by the time Yosemite comes around he'll be a big chunker. He looks so cute in all the pictures - it kind of makes me excited about having another one.

Laura said...

i'm so glad i got to see him in real life! it sounds like you are holding up nicely. he is so cute!

Chelsea said...

he's so handsome! we should get our boys together. they're only a few weeks apart. i have to say i'm a little jealous he weighed less than 7 pounds. my litte one wasn't so little but we're happy to have him too. hope you're doing well. miss you!

Kim said...

Congrats! That is so exciting he is adorable! And you look GREAT! Let me know if you need anything. Oh and i LOVE the name so sweet!

Laurel said...

I LOVE new baby Ford picture overload! :) He is incredible and you look so great and happy. Congratulations to you and your family!

Kristyn said...

Wowww!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! And there's no such thing as picture overload with things like this. Your story sounds awfully similar to mine in some areas - coming several weeks early, extremely quick labor, and coming to the shower with a baby in arms. Too funny. Big difference, though, was we didn't have a wedding to work with! Holy cow that's a lot going on. And I love the name. A family in our ward named their boy Ford too, and everyone here loves it - it's so unique and cool.

So, I was actually coming here to ask you a few q's about veganism (and was pleasantly surprised by the announcement!), but, WHEN YOU GET A FREE SECOND, no rush, email me cuz I have a few questions for you. Thanks Christine! thackattack@cox.net

BTW, you should make these (sooo good):
http://www.bethenny.com/fudge_muffins.htm

ryan + carly said...

i was thinking about you today and just wondering how you and your little fam are. and wow...new little baby!!! such a cute name and such a perfect little guy. congrats girly. i'm happy you are doing well!!! love ya.