25 November 2008

{ and finally (!), new york - part one }

Everyone, be very proud. Two months after returning home from the trip, I have finally gathered and organized our pictures from New York. There are a lot of them - in fact, I have decided it will take me six posts to put them all up. When I expressed concern about the abundance of pictures left to post (after a lot of narrowing down) Brad told me not to worry about it - it's my blog and I can do whatever I want with it. And so I shall!

New York



Brad got a new job with Goldman Sachs in August and after working for two weeks in Salt Lake, flew to New York for the whole month of September to train in their offices there. Since he left when Orva was barely two weeks old, we decided that he'd miss too much of her little life if we didn't join him. So we did! Orva and I waited until she was three weeks old and then flew out to join him for a few weeks. Goldman put us up in a little (tiny) studio apartment in the middle of Manhattan. We were in a great location, so while Brad was at work, Orva and I went wandering on long walks in different directions every day. We bought fresh fruit and vegetables from the corner street vendor every time we went out, visited many, many fun little shops, and spent a lot of time just watching people walk by. In the evenings and on the weekends, Brad joined us for the major sightseeing. We decided we will never live in New York but will definitely go back to visit!

Goldman Sachs building in Jersey City



Visiting Brad at Work





Since Brad's office was across the water from the apartment we were staying in, I had to take quite the subway trip to get there...all by myself with a three week old baby. I ended up doing this quite a bit, actually, and really enjoyed it. Orva definitely drew a lot of attention - we got stopped everywhere we went. It was really fun to see so many tough New Yorkers get all soft over a tiny baby.



We ended up being in New York on September 11th, which was really neat. We went to a couple different memorials on that day and got as close as we could to Ground Zero (we went back later so we could really see it). Two huge spotlights were shining up from the ground in the location of the twin towers - you could see them from all over and it was so incredible to imagine those beams of light as actual buildings. I felt like we were able to experience a tiny bit of how awful that day must have been for everyone close by. Seeing all the memorials and all the people out paying tribute that night made the whole thing much more real. It was very sad, but also very awe inspiring.



2 comments:

Joanne said...

Hooray! Tina - you have outdone yourself on these posts - it was well worth the wait. I love all of the pictures, and it was so fun to read all of the stories about your adventures in New York.

Marian said...

woo-yahoo for new posts! i love reading about everything you did while you were there. thanks!