22 February 2012

{ chaos in my kitchen }

After living with my kitchen like this for over 3 weeks...






I now have this:







The story on the cabinets: just after we moved in, one of our cabinet doors split so I had the cabinet people we used come back out to fix it. They took it back to their shop and a couple weeks later, brought me a new one. Six months later, the same thing happened to a few more of my doors. I called again and they came and got them, fixed them, and brought them back. Two weeks later, another one split. This time I called the manager and had him come out and take a look at them. He decided that they'd go ahead and just replace all the doors to make sure we wouldn't have any more problems. They took them all, made new ones, and brought them back. After they spent a couple hours putting them all back on, and screwing back on all of my child proof locks, I realized the paint color was off. It was slightly more cream than the rest of the cabinets. I almost died, but I did call them back one more time to fix them. They took them all yet again and repainted them all one more time. Did you know that living without cabinet doors for weeks at a time with an almost-two-year-old in the house is absolutely miserable? Did you know it's impossible for a kitchen to feel clean with no cabinet doors? Thankfully, they're finally back and they look great! So relieved - and so happy to have a clean-looking kitchen again!

The story on the table (this was all happening at the same time - I swear my kitchen was cursed): I ordered the table back in June of last year and they said there would be a 3-4 month delivery time on it. That 3-4 months kept getting lengthened until I finally got an estimated delivery date of December 20th. December 20th came and went with no table delivery. I couldn't get in touch with anyone at the company I ordered it from and was sort of freaking out...just a little bit. I finally got a call from a freight company the 1st week in January, calling to follow up on the table I'd had delivered. I told them I had yet to receive the table and they were all confused. They checked into it and discovered the table was still sitting in their warehouse...because it was damaged. What?! I wait for six months for my new table and it gets damaged en route? I really almost died this time. They decided to go ahead and deliver it and have me look at it, since they hadn't even opened it yet - the box was just severely damaged. They brought it out to my house and we took a look at it. It turned out there was just a large scratch on the underside of the table, so we decided to keep it (since a new one would take six more months to get to us). Right after the delivery people left, we realized that we had two table tops and no table legs. After some searching, the freight company finally found out that someone in New York had received two sets of legs and no tops. They were able to switch everything and we finally got our legs...only to open the box and find them both broken. We decided to put it together anyway, because you really can't tell when it's all together - we just can't use the leaf on one side (yes, the table is already huge and has an additional 2-foot leaf that can be added on each side - love it!) and the other side has a little chunk missing from the base on one corner (not very noticeable). Thankfully, the company has agreed to send us new legs...that should arrive by the end of next week. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

The story on the chairs: shortly after I bought my table, I found a set of 8 seagrass chairs on KSL for really cheap. I bought them, thinking I almost had a new table. They then sat in my garage for six months until we finally got the table. Within a day of having them inside, we realized our kids were totally going to destroy them. We listed them on KSL and sold them in a day for exactly what we paid for them. No harm done, except I now had no chairs. I looked and looked and couldn't find anything I liked that came in a set of 8-10 (that I could afford, anyway). After looking for a few weeks with no luck, I had finally decided to go ahead and buy some wooden chairs I liked on Overstock and then paint them a different color, but they were still $75 per chair (which is actually pretty good) and I'd have to do all the work of painting them. No thanks. Then I came across these chairs on KSL (we do a lot of KSL shopping, as you can see). I love ghost chairs but had totally written them off because they're usually so expensive. These were $25 each!! I love them...it feels very fun to have something so modern and trendy paired with my old-reclaimed-wood table.

I really love having a complete kitchen again...(well, mostly - someday I will paint the walls navy blue, add a cool backsplash, hang my new clock made from an old wine barrel top, add more colored vases above the fridge...make window treatments...and find a cool centerpiece, chandelier, and rug for the table - then it will be complete!)

4 comments:

Diane said...

Oh Christine, I can't believe how beautiful and organized your kitchen looks - without any cabinet doors! Mine would never look so great.

Rebekah said...

Ha, tine. I had to look at the pictures twice to figure out that your cabinet doors were off. Even without them, it looked cleaner than mine ever does! But i'm glad things are coming together for you. I really love the look of your table and chairs.

whitney said...

Eeek! What a headache! I'm so glad you got everything all figured out, though. Your kitchen is just so beautiful!

Joanne said...

It looks so good!! It could be in a magazine. I can't believe what a nightmare on all the stuff with your cabinets and table, though. And even though I love it now, I'm picturing it if your final plans ever get done, and wow - you are really gifted at designing/decorating. Can I fly you to Texas to do my house?