13 February 2009

{ my house }

Almost four months after moving in, here are pictures of our new house. We're really enjoying it and have gotten things to a "live-able" point. However, there are a lot of projects I want to do - so for fun, I'll list all the ideas and plans for each room below the pictures.



* I'd love to completely re-landscape (lots of aspen trees and tulips), paint all the trim black, build a new overhang for the porch (wooden posts with wooden slats above), and REMOVE the ugly half circle that is currently over the front door.







* Paint the walls a dark, dark blue (almost navy with a touch of grayish-green), re-do the tile around the fireplace, put in darkish (but still lighter than my bookshelf and chairs) wood floors, paint the coffee table a brighter red, re-cover the ottoman with a zebra print fabric, get new throw pillows (some multi-colored ones in bold oranges, reds, yellows, and greens), pull more silver in (the vases and globes on the bookshelf and the vases on the side table have big plans to become silver), put in some mirrors or glass blocks behind the statues on the bookshelf that you can't see at all, get some glitzy silver and glass lamps, get some mirrored side tables (or somehow mirror the one I have and make it a little taller), paint the fireplace screen silver (or maybe black), and get lots and lots more funky colored vases to go on my mantle (I want the whole thing full, overlapping with the mirror). There. That's all.



* Replace the current light fixture with a funky glitzy crystal chandelier, paint the walls the same blue as the family room, and do something different for the centerpiece, maybe an assortment of small funky clear glass bottles and vases on a bright silver tray with bright green and white flowers in them (a similar look to what I have now, but on a WAY smaller scale, because yes, I know those vases are too large but I just can't bring myself to part with them - I may put some on top of Francisco and then I could maybe live with putting the rest away).





* Yes, that is my whole kitchen. This room will be completely gutted and re-done at some point. We'll be pushing the wall with the stove and fridge back about three feet and then including the little hallway as kitchen space rather than a hallway to our hall. I want a darker slate looking tile, white cabinets, stained concrete countertops (gray-green), a milky see-through green glass tiny tile backsplash, and stainless steel appliances. A dishwasher, garbage disposal, and more than one electrical outlet would be nice, too.



* All I want to do here is paint the walls a chocolate brown, replace the mirror with a smaller framed one, and replace the light fixture with a silvery (small) chandelier. I also am working on finding a cream shower curtain and cream towels that I like (harder than you'd think). Brad wants to completely gut the whole thing and get rid of the pink tile, but I like it - it's vintage and I'm positive I can make it look good with all the chocolate brown, silver, and cream.



* I happen to like the bedroom the way it is and am pretty happy leaving it alone. I am, however, debating painting the walls a mustardy yellowy gold (that sounds awful, I know - but I'm picturing a prettier color than I can describe).







* Orva's room still needs a lot of work...I want to paint the walls a light golden green (the same color our master bedroom was at our old house), paint the changing table cream with a brown antique glaze, paint the baskets brown, fix the changing table shelves (you can't see them in the picture, but there's going to be a roll-out shelf underneath and another shelf on the top right) so that the baskets all have places, finish a cover for a changing pad that will match the rocking chair cover, finish her bedding (I have brown, red, yellow, blue, and green ribbon for the bottom of her dust ruffle and for the pillows in the red basket), paint the dresser (I'm going to leave the top and sides cream, but paint each drawer a different color - blue, green, red, yellow - and then put a brown antique glaze over the whole thing), hang the mirror and plate above the dresser (currently sitting on top of it) so that they balance the height of the mirror next to the dresser, and finish the wall above her crib (with pictures of her, my mom (Orva), and my great grandma (also Orva), along with a really cool letter "O" I have).


Okay, that ended up much longer and much more detailed than I had anticipated. As you can see, my brain is quite full of all the random ideas I have for my poor little house.

And, after typing this post, I'm pretty sure I need more time and more money.

8 comments:

Marian said...

well, i think it looks fabulous already, so i can't imagine how great it's going to be with all the improvements. thanks for posting pictures! i've been dying to know what your house looks like. are there any other bedrooms, or is it just 2?

Orva said...

wow, tine! you have some craziness in store for you. i hope orva starts taking longer naps to give you more project time!
and, my bedroom is mustard yellowy-gold and i love it! thought i wouldn't, but i do.

Catherine said...

A-MAZ-ING! I love how you have already given it your personal touch. Your bedroom is my favorite-just gorgeous!

Joanne said...

I love it! It looks so good already, just the way it is - I was surprised at how modern and light everything is (not really surprised, because it's your house, but kind of surprised because it's an old Salt Lake house). It was so fun to hear all the projects you have in store for it, and to imagine them. I need you to come to my house and tell me what needs to be done.

Kim said...

I think it looks great now. You should see our new house, I haven't done a thing to it. Just don't have the money or energy yet. I want to organize then decorate so I'm still spending money on organizing things. How annoying?! :)

Megan said...

I love your style! How would you feel about decorating my house for me?

Justin said...

In the next couple months, we are some painting a decorating at Megan's parents home since we are moving in. We may need you guys to come over to give us some ideas, and also because we need to hang out again.

whitney said...

Is there some way we can box you up and send you my way (as soon as we buy a house sometime in the next three years)? I thought I had an eye for decorating...and then I had to do it.

I just love your style! I think the house looks gorgeous now, so I can only assume it'll even look MORE fabulous after you get through with it.