11 January 2009

{ francisco and carlos }

My new loves:

Francisco







and Carlos





We were out and about yesterday and passed some signs advertising a furniture sale. The signs directed us to a sketchy warehouse on a little side street, but we went in and found these gems (I found many many many more gems, but only these two came home with me). It turned out that the sale brought the prices down to only twice our budget rather than four times our budget. I, however, am very good at bartering and talked them WAY down on these two items. The sales lady came back to me three different times with progressively lower price quotes, but I told her I needed it to be even lower so we finally settled on her giving them to me at cost. I couldn't be more pleased. I think the she probably caved when I told her that my house would forever revolve around the one piece (the green) if I could just have it. Or maybe it was when I told her that it would be my Valentine's Day, Birthday, Mother's Day, Anniversary, and Christmas gift for 2009 (it really will be). Or maybe she decided to sell it to me at cost because we were in our Saturday-going-to-Home-Depot-working-on-the-house-no-shower sort of clothes. The store was full of much better paying (and looking) customers and she probably needed to get us out of there. Needless to say, we bought them and I've been sitting on my couch staring at my dear Francisco ever since. I love Carlos, too, but who can compete with this?



* Don't ask about the naming of the furniture. Brad randomly names furniture like that - it all started with Betsy. It's actually quite handy, though. Instead of saying, "go put this away in that one really cool antique Indian lime green table thing in our front room by the window" you can say "go put this way in Francisco". I guess we could call it a sideboard (I think that's what it really is) but Francisco works for me. *

* Francisco really is made from antique Indian doors (200 years old) and Carlos is an antique from China (between 100 and 200 years old). They got Spanish names, though, because Brad did the naming (and because we don't know any Indian or Chinese names). *


* Yes, I will someday post pictures of my whole house and not just snippets. I will even do it before I am "finished" with everything - just not today. *

* So sorry for the plethora of parting notes. *

11 comments:

Catherine said...

Francisco is pretty amazing! What a find! I'm excited for you. Your house is really coming together and looking so classy and fun. I can't wait to see the living room when it's painted. Of course I want to volunteer to either help paint or watch Orva all day while you and Brad paint. :)

whitney said...

What friggin' fabulous pieces! I'm uber-jealous. Especially of Francisco. Love, love, LOVE the green.

Marian said...

oh. my. good. ness. i love them. especially francisco. i would just sit and look at him all day, i think. i can't believe what a good barterer you are. you need to teach me!

Jill said...

Sooo, you have a house? Where? Why don't we see each other more often? You need to come and decorate my house for me, or at least furniture shop for me because those are AMAZING!

Unknown said...

You are awesome and frankly I love how your style reflects your personality!

Laurel said...

Both of those pieces are A-MAZ-ING!!! I would love to be one of those people who spends thousands and thousands of dollars on really great furniture, and I'm pretty sure both of those would fit right in with my dream decor. Well done, Christine. They are beautiful!

Kristin said...

So cute! Man, you can pull off anything in your house! It looks great!

BTW, You aren't abrupt, abrasive or rude AT ALL! Of course, maybe I think that because we're both that way??!!!??

Kristyn said...

I love your sideboard table! And you had the name right - I learned that when I was seriously eyeing a piece similar to yours at a consignment store here. Only the one I saw was a really deep green. And yours was probably a lot cheaper - at cost? Now THAT really is good bartering! You have always had the most exquisite taste, and I'll be totally upfront and honest - I would PAY to see a visual tour of your house. I still remember how you told me you made vases out of light coverings you found at DI and just spray painted them black. Genius! Pure genius!

Laura said...

does francisco know that he needs to be in my house? he really would look amazing here. maybe if i flatter him, he will jump ship and come to florida?
good job, tina!

Kim said...

Those are beautiful. I'm painting our entertainment center green :) Maybe I'll name it Franny... he he

Joanne said...

I already told you this on the phone, but I love both these things!

I can't believe how much you got the price down!

Your house is beautiful. Someday I'm going to come live right next to you and have you do my whole house.